Friday, January 10, 2014

You Are What You Wear




Nowadays people are into organic foods, going vegan, choosing non-GMO foods, juicing, spinning, and doing aerial dancing. While all of these activities and lifestyle choices are fun and healthy they can only do so much to strengthen and protect one's body. The easiest step to purifying yourself is often overlooked. We all read food labels to watch our sodium and caloric intake but has anyone stopped to evaluate what ingredients they wear on their skin? Without knowing what potentially harmful chemicals sit on your skin you could be counteracting the parsley, kale, & lemon juice you plugged your nose and swallowed this morning. What I am saying is that it's just as important to know what you're slathering on your skin as it is to know which ingredients are going into your mouth. While I'm not a professional and the possibility of your face moisturizer giving you cancer is low, this is worth your consideration.

I've always been an avid buyer of new skincare and makeup products and over the past few years I've tried and tested numerous brands. I used to buy whichever products had the most popular spokespeople or the most eye-catching ads and until I randomly came across Good Guide I fell prey to all of the flashy marketing tricks. Good Guide is a comprehensive site, it covers everything from household products to appliances to food, that rates products based on their impact on your Health, Environment, and Society and informs you of the potential health concerns which may arise. When I found this site I began typing in a few of my everyday toiletries for fun and was surprised upon finding these items on the site. I was even more shocked when I saw the ratings for some of my favorite products. (The green, yellow, and red colored rating system is super easy to understand.) With further research I realized that my face wash, body moisturizer, and foundation were all potentially poisoning my body! Thus I began my product revamp. I educated myself on several key "no-no" ingredients commonly found in products I use everyday and I began telling everyone who would sit and listen about what I had learned. The ingredients which I meticulously scan labels for and zero in on include the following: parabens, petrolatum, propylene glycol, and mineral oil. Yes, there are a plethora of other harmful chemicals but those are the ones I commonly find in my searches. I keep my eyes open for these ingredients because they all have a seat on the dirty dozen, chemicals in our daily-use products that are potentially toxic. 

I hope that this post informs you about potentially harmful ingredients hiding in products. Check back next week for even more insight on ingredients as my next post will cover what's lurking in lotion!

Sincerely,
JEN



You can keep up with Sincere and JENunie while on the go! Simply subscribe to me through Google+ or by email to receive an email for every new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment